Monday, September 7, 2009

Menu Plan Monday


So I've been trying to plan our weekly/monthly/daily meals around here forever - and I usually scratch something out on a piece of paper, which sometimes makes it to the grocery store, which sometimes makes its way back to the car or sometimes the house if I'm lucky, but NEVER makes its way into my actual meal selection for the week. Then almost every night it's a scramble for dinner and I fall into, with a little help from my DH who loves to eat out, the "well, let's just pick something up" merri-go-round. So since I'm trying to be better about blogging and walking the walk, I figured maybe I would help myself out, participate in Menu Plan Monday and hold myself accountable if I posted it on-line so here we gooooooooooooooooooooo (off to Neverland! - sorry a lot of Peter Pan has been playing out our house recently...)

Breakfast
Banana Muffins - yes I did cook 24 of these and freeze them for coming weeks, BTW we tried a few and they were delicious!
Oatmeal
Grapefruit
Hard Boiled Egg and Toast
Cereal
Pancakes
Potato Pancakes and Eggs
Cereal bars or Crackers for Rose

Thru the week, I eat breakfast usually at work at my desk so things that I can prepare and pick up and go, like the first 5 items work best for me. My daughter eats breakfast at daycare (yes, she goes to daycare and that is a whole nother post for a whole nother time!)at 8, but since we get her up at 5 she likes to have a little something before then. And for my DH, I'm STILL working on some easy stuff for him to take (he loves drive-thru breakfasts), that I can make at home - suggestions welcome!

Lunch
For me:
Chicken Salad sandwiches
Salad
Soup
Leftovers (tenderloin sandwiches)

For DH:
Bologna sandwich
Ham and Cheese Sandwich
Hot Chicken Patty Sandwich
Hot Dogs
Leftovers

There again, all my lunches are spent at work so stuff that I can prepare ahead and take works wonders. I don't mind eating the same thing for several days or even something for back to back meals (dinner one night and lunch the next day) - however, DH likes to mix things up a little more than that (and remember he likes drive thrus!). Also he needs it very quick and easy...these are all things I try to keep in mind, just trying to tell you were I am coming from!

Dinner
Chicken Cordon Bleu, salad, corn-on-the-cob and green beans
Potato Salad for Fishes and Loaves night
Pizza at church
Nacho night
Pork Tenderloin
Spaghetti night at Parents
Salmon Patties, mashed potatoes, peas and canteloupe

So we are gone A LOT during the week in the evenings (hence why it is sooo convenient, although expensive to run thru the drive thru). Tonight though I'm going to make dinner for my parents for my mom's birthday (chicken). Then the next two nights we will be eating at church. Nacho night is really easy b/c for the most part I can open a can or two, the meat is already cooked and in less than 10 minutes our meal is ready, which is good b/c on this Thursday night either myself or my DH, who has fractured his shoulder, will be going to our local food bank to bag groceries as we do once a month. Then my mom has already said she will be cooking spaghetti this weekend - we usually eat with my parents and grandmother 1-2 times a week. So I plan on that and if things don't work out, we will either do conveniece food (chicken patties or such) or leftovers. Then once a week I try to have some type of seafood b/c of the omega-3's, so this week we will do salmon patties!

Now all this being said, it would have been a good idea for me to have this all planned out before I went to the grocery store this week wouldn't have it! Oh well, a goal for next week!


6 comments:

  1. Welcome to Menu Plan Monday. Good luck with your plan! As far as your husband's breakfast goes -- you could try making (and even freezing) bagel breakfast sandwiches (with egg & bacon or whatever). Or I even make them fresh by microwaving an egg in a ramekin (cover w/ plastic wrap) for about 30 seconds, check, and do another 30 if needed. You can scramble them at that middle stage or not as you prefer. If you freeze them, then just microwave them for about a minute (bottom of the bagel up).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the blog world!! I am also a working mom, I love reading other working mom blogs. I can totally relate to eating out way too much! I have gotten ALOT better about cooking dinner at home thanks to menu planning. I really struggle with bringing my lunches though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I would love to know how you do your Chicken Cordon Bleu.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie, I fried some eggs this morning for him to take on sandwiches the rest of the week for breakfast...hopefully he does and hopefully it is good so he will eat!

    Lisa, my lunches don't seem to bother me so much because like I said I don't really care to eat the same thing, so I can do soup day after day. But I'm pretty excited at my options for this week - I should be after all my work getting them prepared!

    Shannon, I made it with Chicken Thighs (I bought those last time vs. Chicken breasts because they were so much cheaper and more of the correct portion size). I cut a sliver in the middle, took a piece of ham stuffed with Italian blend cheese (I used this b/c it is what I had on hand) and placed it in the chicken. Then I rolled the chicken in Italian bread crumbs and fried it in olive oil in a pan on the stove top. I thought it turned out really nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so how's the week going for you friend?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far so good - but I haven't really had to cook anything yet! Although I did take some homemade potato salad I made this weekend to Fishes and Loaves (a ministry our church does to feed those in our community. we take a bus to some of the different areas of town and we have about 10-20 people each week). Tonight we have game night at our church for our YAMS (young adult ministries - i.e. post college, pre-mid-life crisis! group) which will include Pizza. So I need to remember to get the Tenderloin out of the freezer tonight when I get someone's milk bags!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails